Jack Hiddlestone chronicles the complete history of this park in the book
Scranton Luna Park. That publication is available from the Lackawanna Historical Society,
232 Monroe Ave., Scranton, PA 18510-2104. The phone is (570) 344-3841.
As such a comprehensive history exists the material on this page is somewhat sketchy.
Otherwise it would be an unnecessary repetition of Mr. Hiddlestones work. For that
reason the thrust of this page is to give a few basic facts on the park and to bring scans
of Luna Park post cards to the Defunct Parks site.
The Scranton Luna Park Company was formally organized on March 15,
1906, with Major Thomas Penman as president. Penman also served on the Board of Directors
of the Laurel Line, the Dunmore branch of which formed the eastern boundary of the park.
Thus from the beginning the Laurel Line and Luna Park managements were intertwined. The
interurban built a station complete with platforms and a siding. Great expense (over seven
thousand 1906 dollars) was incurred building a tunnel under the Laurel Line tracks. Such a
precaution was necessary as the big interurban cars received their power from an exposed
continued below ...
photos are copyrighted
DO NOT COPY